Forum

Notifications
Clear all

ts 930 pll unlock and ps  

RSS
summitradio
(@summitradio)

I have k8GUs old 930 that he blogs about on his site. I had the radio in storage foa a while and now the pll unlocks when I change bands.

I tried to adjust L77 and it worked for a while. I think it may have some bad caps or solder somewhere.  Where is the first place to look?

Also I have a Phoenix contact 10 amp PS here and was wondering if it may be usable for the power supply project? 

Thanks

George NE2I

Posted : 04/12/2018 12:06 am
ak6ok
(@ak6ok)
Member Admin

Hi George,

The first thing I would check is the 21V power supply. If it is off too far, the PLL does tend to unlock easily. As far as the Quint supply, it will work as long as you keep the transmit power down a bit. In full transmit mode, the transceiver uses about 14A, higher than the power supply can deliver. But it should work. We of course use the 20A version and it runs almost cold. 

I hope that answers your questions and Thank you!

Jeff Hilliard AK6OK

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/12/2018 12:15 am
summitradio
(@summitradio)

Thanks for the tips Ill check the 21v supply rail to the pll board. I decided that its a better deal to get the full supply upgrade. I had this one laying around. I'll use it for my Tic ring controller project.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/12/2018 1:09 am
ak6ok
(@ak6ok)
Member Admin

Sounds good. The upgrade kit is a pretty good deal! Let me know if I can assist in any other way! Jeff AK6OK

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/12/2018 11:49 pm
summitradio
(@summitradio)

So I dug out the old Heathkit VTVM and RF probe and aligned L77 as per the manual. 0.21V rf on r125 on the signal board.  Now the PLL locks up reliably.  Imagine that! the manual was right!

The 9V switch on the old PS board went TU. So my cooling fans don't work now. 

Waiting on the new PS board kit I ordered. Any Idea when it will ship?

Thanks

George NE2I

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/12/2018 1:11 pm
ak6ok
(@ak6ok)
Member Admin

Good morning! Good news - The TS-930 Version 3 boards are arriving here today and will be shipped tomorrow. Really glad you found the issue. Let me know how it all works when you get the new board. 73,

Jeff

AK6OK

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/12/2018 3:34 pm
Share: